When Jo was a baby we enrolled her in a child care center in our neighborhood in New Jersey. All of the staff were native Spanish speakers, as were many of the kids. Jo spoke a few words of Spanish almost before she said anything in English. We noticed that she’d chirp something like “ahpeeahpeeahpee” but we couldn’t figure out what it meant. Finally, one day I heard one of the teachers say it too. I realized that in her accented English, she was sing-songing “Happy, happy, happy!” to the children.
So that made me happy.
And lovely Wendy from Midwest Green has given me the Happy 101 award. The rules are to list 10 things that make me happy, which seems like a good idea after the last two whingy posts, and then pay it forward to 10 more bloggers who make me happy.
Things that take me to a happy place
- A cup of tea
- A new Sunday Times magazine and crossword
- A little boy still small enough to carry on my hip
- The beginning of a yoga class
- The end of a yoga class
- Making travel plans
- My kids making each other laugh
- Reading my daughter’s creative spelling/writing (she and a friend have been exchanging emails using my account and you would die from the cute.)
- My tweet stream during figure skating events. I am reading all the best stuff aloud to my husband, who is suitably impressed.
(A selection of the) bloggers that make me happy
- Binkytown, for her balance of sweetness and snark
- Greeblemonkey, generous Renaissance woman
- Lady M, another generous Renaissance woman (high-tech! vintage ballroom! Star Wars!)
- Lovely Listing, for many LOLz
- Magpie Musing, for cleverness online and via snail mail
- Mamapop, for its recaps of Top Chef and Project Runway
- Julie at The Mom Slant, for knowing all about ahpeeahpeeahpeeland
- Nonlinear Girl, for (among much else) giving me and my Room of Your Own session a good boost (one more week left to vote!)
- The Shredheads, for launching a fitness movement online
- Slouchy, for pure poetry.